Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Decadence is heroin and cake on Tuesday

As I was sitting here before 5 am in the warmth of our little space with toast and coffee hunting and pecking at our computer, I was trying to define "decadence".  This coffee boasts Fairly Traded fresh beans that I just ground up with an electric grinder then steeped for 4 minutes in boiled clean water in my French press for 4 minuets while I waited for my locally sourced grainy bread to leap from the toaster.
Where was I? Oh yes...trying to define decadence.
Merriam Webster defines it thus: Behaviour that shows low morals and a great love of money, fame love etc.
I don't think I like that definition. I'll look elsewhere. Hold tight.

Decadence (originally meaning "decline") is a perceived decay in standards, morals, dignity, religious faith, or skill at governing among the members of the elite of a very large social structure, such as an empire or nation state.
Nope, that isn't right

Indulgence
: the behavior or attitude of people who allow themselves to do what they want or who allow other people to do what they want
: the act of doing something that you enjoy but that is usually thought of as wrong or unhealthy
: something that is done or enjoyed as a special pleasure

That's better, sort of.
I'll leave you to your own conscience and round tables with peers to come up with levels of acceptable decadence.
As you know, or perhaps you don't so I'll tell you, I drive truck for a local non-profit that provides food etc to people with fewer resources than you and me. Daily I rub shoulders with and in some cases, cry with these people. (you may recall my mentioning lunch with Dave who damned near tried as he described a crappy chicken burger lunch as a rare treat)
Apparently, people who dwell in Single Room Occupancy Hotels experience a level of indulgence. 
Imagine if you can, that owning one fresh tub of lime flavoured Liberte yogurt being called decadent. I heard a woman say this very thing yesterday.
On Boxing Day, we visited a music supply store and I noticed a white Lamborghini that looked quick even as it sat still. The owner bought enough equipment to outfit 2 guitars on stage...everything apparently. Not sure what that all entails but it sounded decadent to my untrained ear.
Perhaps indulgence IS the word I'm looking for?
I plan to celebrate New Years Eve with dear friends later today and I'm really looking forward to it, but for many on Earth, its just another journey around the sun. (many won't have another after this one)
I'm going to play board games, smoke a cigar, drink some beer, eat too much food and laugh and talk into the wee hours of next year.
Indulgence. Gluttony etc. etc.
Yesterday, I received a cake from a vender in the shape of a Christmas tree which was decorated with colourful frosting. You know the type. I'm guessing it weighed 2 kilos and I'm not sure that any of my friends would ever purchase a beast.
Well, I dropped it and it got kind of smeared and buggered. When this happens to product, its kind of embarrassing to put it on shelves in the venues where our clients shop...so too often theses items are composted. Even we have standards for them poor folk.
There was a woman beside my truck who was twitching spastically, weaving quickly and looking very unrested and nervously thirsty. (this mannerism in the world of addiction is called tweaking. Look it up) We chatted briefly but she was distracted by a tray of cupcakes. Interrupting me, with a croaky voice that matched her scabbed face, swollen arms and hands but not her figure, she asked if she could have them.
I looked at her darting, frantic eyes and asked if she wanted that cake.
She jumped up and down a few times and shrieked REALLY?
I gave her the battered cake and she ran off with it but dropped her scant belongings about 30 feet away. She picked up her bag, make up, needles and smokes, fumbled with the cake and scurried off to no doubt share the sugary feast.
Happy New Year
Look after yourselves.
Peace









3 comments:

  1. I think it's interesting that the word "decadent" has come to mean things like "an extra chocolate" instead of it's actual definition. Thanks, advertising industry, for ruining another word. Same as "sinful", I guess, we can describe chocolate cake as sinful if it's really good, but there is nothing sinful about the cake! Perhaps "tempting", but a cake can't sin! Ha! Anyway. Thoughtful post today, I like it, Spoke!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Lance, for sharing your thoughts.
    I love coming here to see what you have to share with us each time, tho sometimes I leave just a little broken-hearted…
    Thank you for seeing the people and things that most of us overlook. Bless ya.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I dig how you described the woman who was so glad to have the cake.

    ReplyDelete